So far, most of my project has been focused on the technological aspect of it, which for me makes sense. Why try and build something, design everything and find out later that it is not possible? So I decided to test the broad strokes of the tech first, seeing as that was also where my weakness lies; I’m not a great programmer or electronics specialist.
Now with the green light from the tech department (Oh hey, thats me!) the art department (Me again!) can get busy with the look and feel of the project. I have made a few style sketches for the digital part of the project, but none of them really resonated with me, so I decided to focus on the physical for a while. At first I experimented with a sort of bathymetric map feel, layering pieces of MDF to create platforms.
Later on I was fascinated by the look of Voronoi Diagrams, a mathematical way to divide a plane into specific regions based on points placed on the plane (and that’s how far my understanding goes… unfortunately). It’s also how they can make mock-ups of cells and soap bubbles for example. When you create a Voronoi Diagram and add the ‘levels’ found in bathymetry you can create an interesting visual, which is very attractive to some, fascinating to most and repulsive to a few. I believe the repulsion is related to trypophobia, as the people I spoke to who found the prototypes repulsive cited a feeling of unease at the holes, the idea of ‘something could be in there’.
While I do not want anybody to be repulsed by my project, the idea of something being in the holes was fascinating and led to the next experiment, by adding characters and decoration to borders structured like a Voronoi, but larger than I have used before, to avoid triggering the trypophobia. This led to a narrative that I hadden’t considered before, namely one of exploration, strange planets and creatures. I’ll show the results in the nest post. I have not yet decided on a definitive course, but I feel like I’m getting closer and closer every time!